DHOKRA – GUJARATI CAKE
- 400g course semolina
- 600g fresh grated sweet corn
- 200g plain yoghurt/ Alpro Soya simply plain plant-based alternative to yogurt
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 tsp green chilli paste
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- Half a bunch of fresh coriander – finely chopped
- Freshly grated coconut
- 2 tsp Eno – the stuff you use for relieving bloated stomachs! yes I know but it works
- 200ml Warm water
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
You will need a large steamer and 9″ round baking tin that fits inside, or simply use a large pot.
TO MAKE THEM
- Mix together semolina, grated sweet corn, chillies, ginger, turmeric, salt, sugar, lemon juice and yoghurt.
- Add water to the consistency of buttermilk.
- Next prepare your steaming device so the water is bubbling away.
- Oil your tin well and set aside.
- Add to batter 2tsp Eno and 3 Tbsp oil and mix fast until frothy.
- Pour into your tin and steam it for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool and then slice up into little squares.
- Serve with a sprinkling of red chilli powder, fresh coriander and grated coconut.